[PLUG] Comcast: Static IP

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Mon Jul 7 18:26:07 UTC 2003

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, robinsoq  wrote:
> It surprises me that the telecommunications lobby is as strong as it is
> with the number of customers that are becoming angered over abusive
> practices and poor services.

Why does that surprise you?  The strength of the lobby has nothing to do
with the happiness of the customers (or even, really, their complacency),
but with the deep pockets of their campaign funds and the high paying jobs
they can offer the family members of the legislators and regulators.

> Long term it looks like laws similar to the anti collusion ones are
> going to be needed to prevent a few broadband providers from essentially
> dominating all Internet use and setting all the rules.

What's the need of laws that don't get enforced -- indeed, have no
mechanism for enforcement?

You can't put a corporation in jail or sentence it to death.  These legal
fictions have all the rights of individuals and can face almost none of
the dissuasive criminal punishments.  What do you do when a non-person
(with all the rights of a person except the right to vote -- at least with
a legal ballot) is convicted of breaking the people's law?  Fine it.
That's all.  This has a two-fold destructive effect:  First, it makes the
government dependent on crime for revenue and second, it means that you
can feel free to break the law as long as you have the money to cover it.

> For that matter, when are the anti collusion laws going to be enforced?

As soon as the public agencies remember they are agents of the public.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net