[PLUG] Linux from scratch is interesting...

robinsoq robinsoq at mail.opusnet.com
Tue Jul 8 02:50:08 UTC 2003

I'm using the Linux From Scratch guide put out October 2002.  Why is it so important not
to compile utilities with dynamic binding before chrooting into the LFS system?
I am wondering how to adapt this system as my real goal is to make this work over
nfs and boot off of network.  Maybe I only have to modify my approach to the init
scripts?

One curiosity I'm running into is with configure.  Does it detect what platform your
on affecting the compilation result?  I ask as I'm compiling on a Pentium III but want
this LFS system to work on a true 386 also.  I look at the gcc spec file on my host
system, valhalla, don't see any optimizations though.  I guess another good question
is if there is a way to compile for multiple architectures and arrange to have the
system use the best library for the system it's running on?  Well, architecture is
probably the wrong term for 386 verses Pentium 4 or AMD K6 where I tend to think a
different architecture would be an alpha or a PPC.  The IA32 architecture should be
contained in everything from an AMD K6 to a Pentium 4 to an IDT Winchip I would
think, unless that's just the Intel implementation of x86.

Anyone know why optimizations crash the compilation of binutils?  Well that's what the
guide said would happen anyways though my compile didn't crash so I guess I'm not
optimized then.

My LFS system is being built in an extra partition on my host box.  I'm wondering if
the host box should have this system in it's fstab and integrity check the partition
for it at boot?  Will my network clients fsck my LFS system?

Anyone know why diffutils, a special utility for decrypting function labels produced
from C++ code where overloading of functions is possible, and other various tools are
needed in a base Linux system?  Bash I can see, but why do I need gawk?

Anyone have an example of using strings from the binutils package?

This static system I'm producing, I suppose if it works on a 386 on up that I can tar
it up and use it later to build a dynamically linked Linux system from scratch where
a host distribution is on the box already and the custom system goes on another
partition.  Do I need seperate swap partitions for these two systems?  Any tips when
I get to the nfs export part?

GCC-3.2 seems to have some fascinating bugs.  What's this copying problem compiling gcc
with a local gcc-2.2.3 compiler when a static structure is passed all about?  Why not distribute patched code instead of providing a patch?  Valhalla has gcc-2.2.5 so I guess
I don't have to worry about this bug.

     --  Michael