[PLUG] Comcast: Static IP

robinsoq robinsoq at mail.opusnet.com
Tue Jul 8 15:21:01 UTC 2003

>>Just because it's been going on for a long time doesn't mean it's OK.
>>
>Agreed.
>
>Russ

I'll second that, Long term the options are to try and bring DSL where there
is cable and dissatisfied customers or perhaps WiFi when DSL isn't a viable
option.  The other possibility is satellite, unforunately, the Starband 360
which seems to be the major two way choice is Windows only and I for one am
bothered by it's poor refresh characteristics during browsing.  Cable users
sadly probably are better off than their satellite counterparts, and to
think that cable gets blasted so often yet no providers are smart enough
to actually offer a better deal in order to compete.  In some ways what do
you lobby for and who do you lobby to cause efforts to be made in the public
good on this issue.  I for one would love being able to have Linux on a high
speed satellite connection with good range without paying too much or dragging
Redmond in.  I'll bet you can argue that satellite and cable are often rigged
technologies, but how do you go about that intelligently and what is success
in today's environment?

     --  Michael