[PLUG] Linux from scratch is interesting...

robinsoq robinsoq at mail.opusnet.com
Tue Jul 8 15:36:02 UTC 2003

From: Jeme A Brelin <jeme at brelin.net>
Date:  Tue, 8 Jul 2003 08:54:36 -0700 (PDT)

"[Michael, can you adjust your linewrap so that it
 either does not wrap lines or wraps them at <80 columns.
 Those long lines make reading a pain and I think some
 are as likely to skip the message as try to decipher it."

 Sorry, this ISP webmail program probably does html too.
 I need to get qmail back up but I haven't gotten around
 to it and in all honestly my mail server documentation
 is really for sendmail.  One curiosity is if the current
 sendmail still has the security problems that merit
 struggling with some other MTA?  In some ways sendmail
 with Maildir boxes may be a better choice than qmail
 simply because I have a better chance of configuring
 sendmail properly since my brother left me a 3000 page
 book on version 8.

 I'm using opusnet.com, I don't know if this webmail
 program allows me to adjust linewrap and turn off
 html.  Don't think so.  I remember when I last set
 up sendmail that I had it use sendmail restricted
 shell but the qmail docs say that sendmail use of
 /var/mail is a moajor security problem where I
 wonder if sendmail can be adapted in a manner similar
 to what you do with qmail and it's maildirs?

 Qmail is easy to get started in but I have yet to get
 it configured to allow anyone to send me email with
 the nececssary filtering while not allowing just
 anyone to use my mail server to send mail potentially
 upsetting all the anti open relay sites.  For one
 thing my curiosity about procmail, what you use with
 sendmail, has been piqued for quite some time.
 Gerhard Mourani's book, Securing and Optimizing Redhat
 Linux The Ultimate Solution, also blasts qmail for all
 the extra stuff, daemontools etc., that it needs and
 claims that the mailing lists don't answer a lot of
 good qmail questions.  I for one haven't done very well
 with the Life with Qmail site.  Qmail may be a better
 choice when it comes to serious mail needs if your
 going to read the source and actually be able to
 understand it, an option that can be quite time
 consuming and a massive challenge to focus.

      --  Michael