[PLUG] KNOPPIX help

Daggett, Steve Steve.Daggett at fiserv.com
Wed Jul 9 14:01:02 UTC 2003

Vincent Yau:

> I just booted KNOPPIX and it is running great.  I am very tempted
> to mount my harddrive and see if I can salvage some data.
> I did not remember what filesystem it was using, I tried both
> ext2 and ext3,
> but both options complain that it is the wrong filesystem.
>
> Is there any other trick I can try?  Thanks for any tip/pointer.

  In order:

  Check your boot logs for errors. See if the drive was identified during
boot.

  cat /proc/ide/hda/model

  You should see the drive model number.  This will tell you if the drive is
on the IDE bus and the controller is responding to IDE commands.

  fdisk /dev/hda, and then "p" to print the partition table, type "q" to
exit

  It will show you that the disk is active and the partition table is
intact.

  fsck -N /dev/hda

  fsck should show what kind of file systems it finds on the disk.

Steve D...