[PLUG] Working on building a Linux system from scratch...

robinsoq robinsoq at mail.opusnet.com
Wed Jul 9 19:58:02 UTC 2003

I'm going through Linux From Scratch version 4
and am up to installing Perl in chapter 6.
Looking ahead I wonder if I need the shadow
password suite considering that my goal is to
NFS export this system to network clients?
Some where I've heard that shadow passwords
and NFS don't work together.  Besides, I'd
rather not use a local password database
anyways.

Another thing I'm wondering is if I need
autoconf, automake, m4, bin86, lilo, and
patch since I don't want to have compilers
on this system and I don't want to set this
up as a system that I boot the host system
up with?

I guess Flex is needed, along with bison...

I would like to authenticate network clients
to to the passwords on my samba server before
they are allowed to use my custom Linux system.

The real trick is figuring out how to turn
this into a system that works via ramdisk and
NFS mounts for multiple network clients
simultaneously.  If I remeber right, there is
a package for replacing the standard tmp dir
in this situtation and a way to have seperate
swap files created for each client.  I guess
/usr would need to be exported read-only.

Can grub password protect and boot a network
image?  Can grub be booted off a tftp server?
Anyone have a recipe for doing this?

BTW:  I found the PXE client on my P4 but how
      do I set up a PXE server
      on my Linux box?

    --  Michael