[PLUG] LTSP and network backups...

robinsoq robinsoq at mail.opusnet.com
Thu Jul 10 19:33:08 UTC 2003

I have LTSP working.  Is there a way to get access to a terminal's local drives?
Currently, the X terminals I get when I boot up LTSP are on the server and not
on my terminal even though they are displaying on my terminal.  In console mode
it seems like mount is broken.  Is this a network block devices problem?

As far as Linux From Scratch, I'm following version 4 from www.tldp.org and have
followed it verbatim.  It seems like it's optimizing for my host machine, a PIII.
What I don't want to do is I don't want to try doing Linux from scratch on my
386 DX-40 with only 20 megs of ram as that will be really slow.  Without changing
the defaults on a 386 configure would probably optimize for 386, there has to be
a better way though to accomplish this though.  I'm sure Redhat even though
their binaries are probably compiled for a 386 doesn't actually use a 386,
same for Mandrake and other Linux Distribution makers.

Since the tape drive isn't on this machine and this machine provides network booting
I should probably finish the instructions, no change, and use this from scratch
system as an alternative boot option on this server for backing it up.  I'm stuck
with a dilemna though, I either need to figure out how to cross compile all the
base utilities for a 386 or I need to determine how to gain access to a terminal's
drives under LTSP.

If I what to compress a root filesystem what goes in that filesystem
and for that matter has anyone done this with a modern 2.4 Linux system?
I'm thinking the root filesystem would be an initial ramdisk.  My goal
is to adapt Linux to be a ram based instead of a disk based system.

    --  Michael C. Robinson