[PLUG] Problems with Intel D845PEBT2

robinsoq robinsoq at mail.opusnet.com
Thu Jul 10 23:50:02 UTC 2003

Well, on a hunch I tried a DVD that isn't scratched.  It's looking more like
a sloppy programming issue for this Windows program, PowerDVD, more than
anything.  My brother's G4 not only plays this scratched disc, it does it
smoothly.  An unscratched DVD played just fine on my Pentium 4.  If it is
a software issue I'll be wanting to find a program, hopefully a Linux one,
to play DVD's on my PC that doesn't cause a crash when the disc is
scratched.  It could be that my DVD player has been too heavily used and
I'm wearing the laser out, I don't know how I can test that though.  Is
there advanced technology in newer DVD drives to smooth out playback of
scratched discs or does Apple just write better DVD player software?

Another possibility is that Lassie is a lower density DVD than the Tarzan
and Jane DVD I tried.  I wonder if there are different grades of DVD's?
Is a platinum DVD a grade of DVD or an advertising ploy?

The next thing I ought to try is taking my SB Live out and see if I can
get the same results using a good DVD with the onboard sound system.
Linux detects the SoundMaker Cadenza that's built in but generates
a ton of error messages like it can't find the resources for it or
something.  The onboard sound of the D815EEA2 is supported under
Linux, maybe it's just a matter of time for the Cadenza.

   --  Michael C. Robinson