[PLUG] Trouble with my LFS bootup...

robinsoq robinsoq at mail.opusnet.com
Fri Jul 11 11:37:02 UTC 2003

I finished the directions for Linux From Scratch version 4 but must have made some mistake somewhere...
I get two boot time errors:

*  One is that the kernel can't exec modprobe, although there's no zip
   drive plugged in and I haven't created a modules.conf or conf.modules
   file.

   kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2

*  The other error is that /etc/rc.d/init.d/rc.sysinit can't be executed.
   I'm doing system V style init.

Do I need a link for /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit?  Right now there isn't a file
called rc.sysinit but there is a rcsysinit.d directory.

I'm trying out devfs, 2.4.19 kernel, my root partition
is mounting read only and if the rc.sysinit events aren't
happening that's probably why it doesn't get remounted
read/write.

The second problem is probably why I'm getting a troubleshooting prompt
after a long hang at starting system logging daemon...

Otherwise, I'm fairly close to having this system booting up normal.
I get this going maybe I can adapt it to network boot workstations for
restoration purposes.  At the very least it'll make a nice system for
backing up the host server's main Redhat install.

I don't have iptables so I'll just put this system on a private class C
I'm not routing through my gateways and set up an alias on my tape server.
The latter makes more sense because I'm only going to use this system
for backup/restore within my local lan where I wouldn't want to be able to
access or be accessed from the Internet.  Can you run different ip networks
through the same media though?

     --  Michael C. Robinson