[PLUG] Trouble with my LFS bootup...

Petcher, Danielx J danielx.j.petcher at intel.com
Fri Jul 11 11:52:02 UTC 2003

<SNIP>

> I don't have iptables so I'll just put this system on a private class
> I'm not routing through my gateways and set up an alias on my tape
server.
> The latter makes more sense because I'm only going to use this system
> for backup/restore within my local lan where I wouldn't want to be
able to
> access or be accessed from the Internet.  Can you run different ip
> networks
> through the same media though?
>
>      --  Michael C. Robinson

Yes, you can run just about any number of networks through the same
media. I do it all of the time.

If your home network is on a switch, you will keep the privacy you
desire unless someone from out in the Internet manages to gain control
of an internet-connected box and tells it to sniff everything on the
wire. (Since a hub repeats all traffic on all ports, a third-party-owned
computer could capture the private traffic.)

If you're using hubs rather than switches, you will still find that your
collision domain encompases all the devices hooked to the hub in
addition to the small security risk I mentioned above.
-djp