[PLUG] Porting IE Bookmarks to Galeon

Cooper Stevenson cooper at cooper.stevenson.name
Sat Jul 12 08:21:02 UTC 2003

I wrote this simple bash script (oh, how I pined for 'emerge pdksh') to
convert exported IE bookmarks to Galeon. It turns this:

  [DEFAULT]
  BASEURL=http://accounts.keybank.com/
  [InternetShortcut]
  URL=http://accounts.keybank.com/
  Modified=E064CB6ECCAEC201BA

Into this...

  <bookmark href="http://accounts.keybank.com/">
    <title>Key Bank - Online Banking</title>
  </bookmark>

Simply change the top two variables to suit your needs and place the
output in your ~.galeon/bookmarks.xbel file.

 May you find it useful...

#--------------Begin script----------------------

#!/bin/bash
                                                                                                                                                                                                                            favorites_directory=directory/that/holds/your/exported/bookmarks
output_file=file/to/hold/results

find "$favorites_directory" -printf %f\\n | while read file
do
   if [[ -f "$file" ]]
   then
     grep URL "$file" | awk -F '=' '{ print $2 }' | while read url
     do
       echo '<bookmark href="'"$url"'">' >> "$output_file"
       echo '  <title>'"$file"'</title>' >> "$output_file"
       echo '</bookmark>' >> "$output_file"
     done
   fi
done