[PLUG] advice on buying a cheap DAT Drive

Keith Morse kgmorse at mpcu.com
Sun Jul 13 18:07:02 UTC 2003

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Jon Ladwig wrote:

> I know very little about tape back-up; just thought
> it would be useful to learn a bit more. Maybe backup
> /homes and /var/www/html.
>
> Any Linux gotcha's I should know about?
>
> I'm hoping I can pick up an old internal 4mm
> unit- DDS or DDS-1 or DDS-2. Does around $25 sound
> reasonable for one of those? Brands to avoid?

I'll leave the software side to the many experts who are exponentially
smarter than me for all things tar, shell, ssh, and dd.

I would make one recommendation.  Please make sure that the DDS2 format is
sufficient for your needs.  2/4gb may seem okay on the face of it, but
that capacity can be easily surpassed by future needs.   I'd expect you to
be able to find a DDS3 (12/24 gb) for $150 or so.  But then again, I
haven't looked lately so I may be talking out my ass.  Heck for the cost
of the drives and media, DVD +R/+RW seems to be shaping up as the
defacto standard for DVD discs and another method for backup.  Might want
to check this out.