[PLUG] advice on buying a cheap DAT Drive

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Mon Jul 14 09:03:01 UTC 2003

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Jon Ladwig jon-at-vertex-networking.com |PDX Linux| wrote:

> I'm hoping I can pick up an old internal 4mm unit- DDS or DDS-1 or
> DDS-2. Does around $25 sound reasonable for one of those? Brands to
> avoid?

I've had problems with older DDS units.  In addition to the slow write
speed, the tapes seem to develop bad blocks a bit too frequently for my
needs.

I would suggest that you look into using a CD-R drive.  The write speed
can be quite high now, and I've had excellent luck with them being
readable even years down the road.

I use "dump" since I like the interactive restore feature, and it's
cheap.  (free)

  -- Steve