[PLUG] XP Home will not see running samba

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Mon Jul 14 11:22:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-14 at 10:38, Mike De La Mater wrote:
> On 14 Jul 2003 10:07:46 -0700, Derek Loree <drl at drloree.com> wrote:
> >
> > Do you have the RH box set up as the WINS server?
> >
> > Did you turn off the Browse Master service on the XP box?
> >
> > There is a utility called "Browmon" that might help sort this out.  I
> > think I downloaded it from M$.
>
> No the RH box is not a WINS server, It's just a simple small TCP/IP
> network, no DHCP even.

Letting the RH box be the WINS server, and telling all other
workstations about it, will probably straighten things out.  Make sure
the OS level is greater than 128.

> I'm looking, but I have not found out how to turn off the browswmaster
> switch here, it's not under file and print sharing on this PC...

It's a registry setting.  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, System, CurrentControlSet,
Services, Browser.  Set the IsBrowseMaster and MaintainList to "false".

Good Luck,

Derek Loree