[PLUG] ATA vs. SCSI

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Mon Jul 14 17:58:01 UTC 2003

At the risk of inviting this age-old flame-war to once again visit PLUG, I
had to pass along a really interesting article I found.  As the authors
are from Seagate, one can expect it to be biased towards the more
expensive drives, but I found the discussion to be quite
interesting.  It also has extensively documented references.

The article can be found at:

http://www.seagate.com/content/docs/pdf/whitepaper/D2c_More_than_Interface_ATA_vs_SCSI_042003.pdf

or

ftp://ftp.gutenpress.org/mbrs/sean/ATA_vs_SCSI.pdf

The article doesn't discuss the effects of RAID on overall
reliability/performance, though they do discuss how "consumer" grade
disks are designed around single-disk enclosures and suffer more problems
from the vibrations of other disks around them than "enterprise" grade
disks.

I found it via a current slashdot article here:

I hope some of you find it as interesting as I did.

  -- Steve Bonds