[PLUG] Covad DSL?

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Thu Jul 17 19:04:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Randall Hansen wrote:
> Has anyone had any experience with Covad's DSL service in Portland?
> Ideally, can you compare them with your QWest experiences?

Never had Qwest DSL.  I've had Covad DSL since late 1999.

There has been one ATM outage in that time and that was in Covad's
longhaul bit from here to Seattle.  My ISP is Speakeasy and they were
routing everyone in Portland through the Seattle POP for the first year or
two.  Since they moved to a Portland POP, it's been rock stable.  (I've
had IP issues, but they're not related to the DSL.)

I've even had Qwest totally remove my dial-tone service in error and the
DSL stayed up (though I was getting 100% packet loss for 14 seconds every
44 seconds, which I can't figure out but must have been related to a test
signal or something on my phone line during the repairs).

> My priorities are a stable line at the advertised speed, and responsive
> tech support if the line's ever down.  I don't know what QWest's support
> is like because I call my ISP Hevanet (who are fantastic BTW) in the
> rare case of problems.

I get pretty good speed.  A sustained downstream of 160KB is reliable.  My
upstream sometimes has pretty high latency.  I've not investigated that
too deeply.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin