[PLUG] Covad DSL?

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Thu Jul 17 23:39:02 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 20:50, Sandy Herring wrote:
> I'd be interested to know (1) what Covad charges, and (2) what connection
> speed they provide. It sounds like those who responded that they use Covad
> are /not/ using them for their ISP. Judging from Covad's web site, that
> would make them way more expensive than my current DSL provider (Verizon).
> Their TeleSurfer PLUS DSL is $49.95/mo. - around $14 more than I'm currently
> paying for the same speed (but I get a static IP). I don't want to drop
> Aracnet. I /am/ interested in upgrading to 1.5Mbps/384Kbps, but I'm
> grandfathered into a sweet deal for 1.5/128 and it would cost me another
> $10/mo. to upgrade (not counting Aracnet's increase). But Covad appears to
> charge $69.95 for 1.5/384 - such a deal. So... what's the deal?

That's the price that I saw.  My current DSL is ~$35 for Qwest and $17
for DSL-Only, which isn't much less than the Covad price at 2.5x the
downstream speed and 1.5x the upstream, plus it comes with 5 instead of
1 IP address.  Plus it's a "business" account, so (in theory, at least)
repair service should be quicker (but I haven't had any problems with
the current set up in the 2+ years I've had.

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
* * * * * *  Linux Services for Small Businesses  * * * * * *
*       Easy, reliable solutions for small businesses       *
*    Naked Ape Business Server http://nakedape.cc/r/sms     *