[PLUG] Re: [lug] Spam Filtering With Remote Access

John Sechrest sechrest at peak.org
Fri Jul 18 11:19:02 UTC 2003

We are running Cyrus at PEAK.

It does some things nicely.

However, it has broken all of the procmail and .forward
based mail filtering. And so has broken many people.

I have chosen to take spam instead of moving to cyrus personally
because I process on the order of 4000 messages a day. And
with Cyrus breaking all the tools that I currently use, I would
not be able to function.

Cyrus uses a specific structure for message storage. And
as such, samba would not work underneath it.

I would leave an escape for the onid users who try to filter
mail. Loosing procmail is a big loss. The cyrus filter tools
are not nearly as flexible nor as powerful.

Cooper Stevenson <cooper at cooper.stevenson.name> writes:

 % Scott,
 % >
 % > We're accomplishing the same with a slightly different setup:
 % >
 % > postfix + amavisd + spamassasin + clamav + cyrus imapd
 %
 % Right, but Cyrus's IMAP server, while very fast and scalable, does not
 % (to the best of my knowledge) allow an administrator to mount Samba
 % shares under it's IMAP namespace. Don't get me wrong, I love Cyrus but
 % it employs it's own indexing, making it a "black box" for server shares.
 % If you know a way to do this, I am all ears as I found Cyrus's IMAP
 % server very reliable and fast.
 %
 % >
 % > Right now we have 2 forward facing mail relays that handle email for
 % > most all of campus.  These relays run amavisd which is sort of a
 % > container for all of these tools like spamassasin and clamav.  It allows
 % > you to quickly and easily modify your filtering tools without having to
 % > muck with Postfix.
 %
 % Love Amavisd for virus scanning to protect Windows clients. Does Amavisd
 % let you call SpamAssassin during the MTA phase?
 %
 % >
 % > This summer we're switching to using lmtp to deliver to a Cyrus IMAP
 % > store for all 35,000 ONID accounts.  I'm just as curious as all of you
 % > are on how that is going to work ... :-)
 %
 % :-) !!
 %

-----
CTO PEAK -              .           computers and the Internet
Public Electronic         .            more effectively
Access to Knowledge,Inc       .
1600 SW Western, Suite 180       .            Internet: sechrest at peak.org
Corvallis Oregon 97333               .                  (541) 754-7325
                                            . http://www.peak.org/~sechrest