[PLUG] Re: [eug-lug]Spam Filtering With Remote Access

Bob Miller kbob at jogger-egg.com
Fri Jul 18 11:20:40 UTC 2003

Cooper Stevenson wrote:

> > Without another firewall, the server itself should be the firewall by
> > compiling in netfilter.  Netfilter should be here in order to block
> > ports that are not allowed open, even if the daemon needs to be running.
>
> Good point. Alternatively, you may simply use IP tables to do this.

I object to the use of "simply" and "iptables" in the same sentence. (-:

> For full blown access, VPN is unquestionably the best way to go. For
> small and medium sized business travelers who need to be nimble and for
> employees who want a convenient way to access documents from home, I
> recommend this approach.

Cory has demonstrated for EUGLUG that he can plug his laptop into an
arbitrary Ethernet port and automatically bring up a VPN to his work
site.  It's very slick.

Of course, Cory's laptop runs Linux, so that give him a slight
advantage. (-:

kbobsoft software consulting
http://kbobsoft.com                     kbob at jogger-egg.com