[PLUG] Do you like my courriel?

Kyle Hayes kyle at silverbeach.net
Sat Jul 19 22:54:03 UTC 2003

On Saturday 19 July 2003 15:46, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> "The French Culture Ministry has announced a ban on the use of
> 'e-mail' in all government ministries, documents, publications or Web
> sites, the latest step to stem an incursion of English words into the
> French lexicon."
>
> The approved term is now "courriel":
>
>   http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/07/18/france.email.ap/index.html
>
> Gotta love the French. :-)

I worked in France for a while.  I went out and found a special dictionary of
French computer terms and diligently learned them.  Then, once there, I found
that the French had such charming terms as:

"le computer" NOT "l'ordinateur"

"le network" NOT "le reseau"

In fact, they quickly made me stop using the French terms almost entirely.
The only one that they consistently used was "clavier" for keyboard.  They
even said "mouse" instead of "souris" about half the time.

When I asked why they weren't using the French terms, they pointed out that
they learned all this from English books.  Most computer books are printed in
English.  If they are translated to French at all, it is often more than a
year later.  Since most of the well educated French can read English fairly
well, they just use the English books and do not wait for the French version.

The word 'email' has been in fairly high usage for about a decade.  So, as
long as L'Academie Francaise takes this long to come up with new words for
common things, the French will be speaking English with a funny accent
relatively soon.

Best,
Kyle