[PLUG] (Semi-OT:) Linksys router messes up my LAN

David Fleck dcf at aracnet.com
Sun Jul 20 08:18:01 UTC 2003

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, Anthony Schlemmer wrote:
> Do you have to stick to using a wireless router? If a computer works why
> not put a Linux or other Unix-like firewall box in place and get an
> access point, which doesn't have all of the NAT and firewall stuff in
> it, and put that on your hub or switch?

That's my most-preferred option, however it requires an extra machine that
I don't have at present.  If I could come up with a box + 2 NICs + access
point for about $100, I'd do it today.

After a few more rounds with Linksys tech. support, they told me that it
might be a hardware problem and to take the router back for a replacement.
The personnel at the store where I bought it were nice enough to let me
exchange it for a Netgear router which explicitly states on the box
that it supports UNIX and Linux (I figure I ought to reward companies for
that sort of recognition).

Problem solved?  Well.... not quite.  The problem is less severe, but not
completely solved - all types of transfers seem to work on W2K, http
transfers seem to work ok on FreeBSD/Linux, but large ftp transfers are
hit-and-miss.  I'm trying to do a portupgrade of teTeX right now, and the
transfer dies after about 4meg; more tellingly, I still can't ftp from the
W2K box to the FreeBSD box unless I take them off the router.

So I suppose it's time to make a whole new bunch of friends at Netgear
tech. support... also, I have 30 days to return the Netgear, so if I can
come up with the parts to put my own firewall together in that time, I'll
take it back for a refund.

Thanks-

--
David Fleck