[PLUG] printer issue

Jeff Schwaber jschwaber at wesleyan.edu
Thu Jul 24 22:02:02 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 03:49, Brian Beattie wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 13:37, Jeff Schwaber wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > I will say this: I have not used CUPS before and so this may be a stupid
> > problem, but I have checked a bunch of sources online including cups.org
> > and google and have not found a solution yet.
> >
> > I have a new-to-me HP Laserjet IIP+ that prints beautifully under
> > Windows, but will not print consistently under Linux. It's set up under
> > CUPS as an HP Laserjet II series using Gimp Print, and I have made sure
> > to set the paper to Letter (this will be important momentarily).
>
> It should be set up as a IIP, not a II

Yeah, the IIP driver didn't come with my installation of gimp-print, but
I just added the PPD and tried it and I don't get any farther. I no
longer have the A4 problem--put it on A4, put it on Letter, and it does
the same thing--the printer just sits there idle saying Ready. Meanwhile
CUPS first attempts to stop the printer, then when I tell it to start
again and then give it something to print, it aborts the job.

So I went back and looked through linuxprinting.org and went and
rechecked that I'd installed everything. In fact I hadn't -- I was
missing some of the foomatic things (what a cool name) and I added
those, and ... ta da! I was back to LC LOAD / A4.

grr. Stupid printer.

Any more thoughts?

Jeff