[PLUG] Asus P5S-VM and msclient 3...

robinsoq robinsoq at mail.opusnet.com
Fri Jul 25 20:05:03 UTC 2003

I'm trying to set up a netbootable msclient 3.0 dos 6.2 image on my Linux box
for an asus P5S-VM machine that has an Fa311 card in it.  Updating fa311.dos fixed
it so that it would finish booting...  however, the pop up still crashes.  This is
the only computer I have that does this and I've pulled everything thinking a
card might be causing this...  It has to be the built in video.  Is there a trick
with emm386 or something to map the video cards memory or is this something else?

Well, at the very least the net use commands now work on that machine.  I have a
secondary network set up with a dedicated samba server to distributed 98SE's
cab files from.  The pop up is the equivalent of network neighborhood under 98SE
and is very convenient, when it works.

This is limited to 8.3 filenames but it's a nice stand in until I get a netbootable
to ramdisk Linux system working.

Actually the board has a phoenix bios and is an HP OEM product out of a builders
lot of 50 or so of these.  The board revision is 1.01 if that's a clue at all.

     --  Michael C. Robinson