[PLUG] Skutch AS-4 verses a more expensive...

robinsoq robinsoq at mail.opusnet.com
Sat Jul 26 06:52:01 UTC 2003

telephone line simulator.  Is the AS-4 sufficient for setting up a test
between a Linux dial-up server and some dial-up client?  The ad says you
have to play with a ringer switch to make it work.  I'm asking to determine
whether or not I should really try to win an auction for one or if I should
let it go because it won't do the trick.  The AS-4 is a LOT cheaper than
alternative single line telephone simulators like the TLS-3 or TLS-4.
I just want to play with setting up a dial up server using an old 386
I have for the server side and anoher old machine for a client.

The other simulators on E-Bay all appear to cost more than $100.  For
that kind of money I might as well pay for two more normal phone lines
for a month to two.   In Scappoose two months even for two lines
out of pocket including $40 hookup fee, don't know about extended
area service, will probably cost as much or less than a single
TLS-3 or TLS-4 simulator.

The nice thing about the AS-4 is that it costs about as much as a local
service line, assuming the auction will go for between $25 to $40, for
a single month minus the $40 hookup fee.  The advantage of a simulator
is no time limit on using it and you're not too far apart in a situation
where you block a partners only phone line.

If a more expensive simulator is what's needed to test a dial-up
server without using local phonelines I can always save for one
long term.

Come to think of it, I think a lot of the cell phones have dial-up
service through a built-in modem.  Problem with cell phones is that
there is no such thing as a local service area where you usually buy
one for cheap long distance or roadside emergencies.

I wonder if it is necessary with the AS-4 to use the ringer or if
you just have to pick up on both ends of the simulator simultaneously
to have a connection.  For a modem test it should be possible to work
without a ringer.

     --  Michael C. Robinson