[PLUG] KVM switch

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Jul 27 14:07:01 UTC 2003

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003, Tyler Creelan wrote:

> Just curious - what's the advantage of a KVM versus SSHing into the
> second box, with serial console as backup in case the network fails?

  Good point. I can take the new box to the dining room, hook up a monitor
and keyboard there and install the OS separately. Then I can see if there's
any hassle getting it connected to the network. Once that works, what I want
to do is copy all of /usr/local /usr1 and /opt to the new box.

  My plan is to copy off everything that's not kernel/GNU tool-specific.
Then, when I'm comfortable that everything on the old box is up and running
on the new one, I can shut down the old one, transplant the SCSI adapter,
cd-rw and tape drive to the new box, boot the new one and expect to have it
all run perfectly.

  I thought it easier to do the transfers using a kvm setup, but I can tar
an entire file system and move it across via scp. Thank you for pointing out
the obvious to me.

  Because I use the soon-to-be-replaced box as my main server/workstation in
a production environment (i.e., my business), I want to make the transfer
error-free, quick, reliable and easy. If I've missed something in my
strategy, please let me know.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)