[PLUG] Reply-To header for each list?

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Tue Jul 29 21:38:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Tyler Creelan wrote:
> Under Mutt I'd like to include with each message I send to a list a
> Reply-To directing responses back to the list. For example, I would
> specify a certain set of lists:
>
> user at debian.org
> lkml at linux.com
> foo-users at bar.com
>
> and every message I post to lkml would contain "Reply-To:
> lkml at linux.com".
>
> Under pine I would use "Roles" for this; what is the equivalent feature
> under Mutt?

You probably want some fancy combination of folder hooks and aliases.

> PS. On lists that don't use Reply-To munging, message responses are
> frequently addressed (by accident or design) both to the original poster
> and the list. With Mutt, this behavior is controlled via the Followup-To
> header, which works well assuming everyone uses Mutt. And in general
> duplicate messages are handled trivially under procmail. I'm just
> curious about trying this...

So you want to punish the conscientous to accomodate the lazy?

If somebody does the RIGHT thing with their mail (i.e., uses the common
"reply to all" function of their MUA and edits the recipient list
appropriately), you're going to make it very hard for them to reply only
to you.

Educate, don't accomodate.
J.
--