Fwd: Re: [PLUG] Should be a TRIVIAL fix ...

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Wed Jul 30 10:55:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 14:35, guy1656 wrote:
> [snip]
> > > - Having problem accessing zip250 usb drive.
> > > - System finds drive in /proc/bus/usb
> > > - Raw contents exist at /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc
> > > - /log/messages finds drive at /dev/sda
[snip]
> Didn't try fdisk.  The partition info seems to be intact since it was
> possible to access the drive using vmware/win2k.  This also indicates
> that the hardware and disk are working and properly formatted.
[snip]
> I did trying mounting both sda and sda4.  I fact, since I've gotten
> tricked by similar situations with other media, I tried mounting all
> possible variations - sda1, sda2, sda3, sda4, sda5, etc.  All returned
> "not a block device" errors except sda, which returned "too many open
> file systems or bad superblock" errors.

A list of files inside /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/ should show
the parts of the disk that devfs has found.  If devfs isn't creating the
symlinks, you may have to mount the partition in its long form, for
example:

mount -t vfat /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part4 /mnt/zip

But if it doesn't exist, it won't mount it.

HTH,

Derek Loree