[PLUG] KVM switch - spelling

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Thu Jul 31 09:55:02 UTC 2003

Josh Orchard wrote:

> True, English is an evolving language but the use of 'ping' to determine
> distance in all prior cases makes more sense.

You are correct in this, IMHO.

> But to use it as a way to
> say discuss, talk about, address, or consult makes no sense.  Maybe I'm
> missing something.

Well, to discuss something, at least in this context, is to find out how
far away your idea is from mine. So the ping analogy holds.

I often throught of it as the sound. "I'll ping my boss." Could be
throwing a lead pipe at him to hear the "PING!!!" as it bounces off his
head... :) Of course, I have no way to measure the length of time it
takes for the pipe to travel, or for the ping to return... But I'm going
off the deep end again.

> As is the use of 'offline'.  I'm suppose to think I
> was ever 'online'?  I was on the phone.  When did the phone conversation
> constitute being online?

With a modem?

In my mind, a muddled place if there ever was one, "online" refers to
any conversation, in person or not. While the conversation is ongoing,
you are "online". I've heard (for years) when a topic goes down a
rathole in a meeting, "We'll take this up offline." Referring to after
the meeting.

> Going offline for a while, (time to sleep)

Perfect. :)

--
Russ Johnson
Stargate Online