[PLUG] export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5

Aaron Baer judah at opusnet.com
Sun Jun 1 17:56:02 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-06-01 at 10:56, Dirk Ouellette wrote:
> To get Realplayer8 to work in RH9,I put the line export
> LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 into  my /etc/profile as follows;
>
> export PATH USER LOGNAME MAIL HOSTNAME HISTSIZE INPUTRC
> export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5
> for i in /etc/profile.d/*.sh ; do
>     if [ -r "$i" ]; then
>         . $i
>     fi
>
> Was this the correct way to do this?
> Dirk

You can open a terminal and test it with  echo $LD_ASSUME_KERNEL

My only concern is wether or not that would force every application to
use the older threading all the time. Which would defeat some of the
purpose of running an rh9 kernel. It sucks but I would rather do it
myself in a terminal until real releases a player that supports the new
threads. They have to eventually because it's the way 2.6 is going to
be. I would hope they'd fix it in the next 8 months or so. Just my
thoughts. I would hope the same fix is it the pipes for Oracle. They're
java implementation is based off of a jre that doesn't support the new
threads libraries. Suns 1.4 and above is the only release that supports
them. I've been using the beta for a while now with no problems in every
day use.

A-
--
----