[PLUG] Mail abuse problem

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Mon Jun 2 13:55:03 UTC 2003

Ken> Configuring your SMTP server to reject SMTP requests from hosts
Ken> that fail a reverse DNS lookup will help stop some of these.  But
Ken> not all of them.

Jeme> Excuse my ignorance here, but wouldn't this reject mail from
Jeme> virtual domains?

Jeme> If I have a server with one IP address that relays mail for
Jeme> foo.net, bar.org, and baz.biz and I sent mail to you from
Jeme> xyzzy at baz.biz, would your SMTP agent reject it because the IP
Jeme> reverses as mail.foo.net?

I think you are okay as long as your message from xyzzy at baz.biz is
forwarded through mail.foo.net and *it's* IP reverse lookups resolve
"correctly".  It isn't a question of what the From: line says.

Jeme> And if not, don't most folks put their dynamic pool IPs in DNS
Jeme> with names like "dialup-123.isp.org"?

Then you (and your recipient) are screwed, or you forward through your
ISP or some other helpful host that doesn't fail the reverse lookup.

--
Russell Senior          ``Rome is strangling my people and my country... the
seniorr at aracnet.com       whole earth.  But not forever!  I tell you, the day