[PLUG] Taxes for contract work...

Michael C. Robinson michael at robinson-west.com
Tue Jun 3 10:50:02 UTC 2003

I'm new at this.  I earned $689.85 in my last check and since I
guess the limit for not reporting is $500 that I am responsible
for the taxes.  Is fica really %10.5 for everyone?  I'm a 23 year
old dependent with $500 of outstanding subsidized stafford loan
to pay off @ $50/month, I owe darn near everything I've earned
so far.  One thing I wonder about is if amounts earned below the
minimum tax level will be reported by my employer, i.e. if I get
a $200 check after two under hour weeks will I have to pay taxes
on that amount?  Is $10.50/hour reasonable for a person with a
general studies degree from PCC?  Can anyone guess my income tax?

I wish I could get a job with stable hours, benefits, better pay,
and Linux training.

     --  Michael C. Robinson