[PLUG] .pdf ???

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Tue Jun 3 13:18:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Dirk Ouellette wrote:
> I've got a supposed .pdf that came in an evolution email, but I can't
> send it as an attachment. it is in
> /tmp/evolution-500-1218/evolution.wMmFq8/Forms_Legal_.PDF
>
> Is this some kind of virtual .pdf that is only printable and not
> forwardable as an attachment?

Well, think about it.  You're on a unix-like system and you run evolution
as a regular privileged user.  What could anyone do to a file that would
make it so that you couldn't copy the bits into an email attachment?

Try `file /tmp/evolution-500-1218/evolution.wMmFq8/Forms_Legal_.PDF` and
see that it's really a PDF (or at least appears to be one by the rules of
magic).  Make a copy of it.  Try to delete the original.  Open it with a
PDF reader.  There are lots of things you can do to assure yourself that
it's just a file and bits are bits.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin