[PLUG] Getting Started - Hardware Choices

Sandy Herring sandy at herring.org
Tue Jun 3 16:08:02 UTC 2003

Dean,

I've not (yet) used it, but I believe VNC (Virtual Network Computing) is
what you want...

    http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

It is part of the RH linux distros...

[bigfish at kippered bigfish]$ apropos vnc
Xvnc                 (1)  - a VNC server
vncconnect           (1)  - connect a VNC server to a VNC viewer
vncpasswd            (1)  - set password for VNC server
vncserver            (1)  - start a VNC server application
vncviewer            (1)  - VNC client application

FWIW, my web server is an ancient Pentium Pro-S (SMP with matched CPUs w/512
KB cache) w/256Mb RAM running RH7.3 and Apache 1.3.27. It does yeoman's
duty, though it also has a relatively light load...

    http://herring.org/usage/

Availability > 99% (as long as PGE isn't mucking about)...

  4:05pm  up 102 days,  9:15, 10 users,  load average: 0.28, 0.38, 0.39

You don't need a lot of beef for linux (although I can't speak to what
streaming video may require).

cheers,
Sandy

--