[PLUG] Making a Mandrake system usable (installing Debian)

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Wed Jun 4 12:20:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Petcher, Danielx J wrote:
> Did you double-check the obvious?

If it was obvious to me, I checked it.

> Is the BIOS set to prefer booting from a CD before booting from the hard
> drive? Can you boot Knoppix or some other CD-based distro to verify
> CD-ROM bootability? Some ancient CD-ROMs weren't El-Torito compatible
> (bootable).

I think it's some odd combination of the BIOS (a Dell monstrosity) and the
onboard SCSI controllers (Adaptec 7880).  I can't seem to boot from the
floppy or the cdrom.

I tried pulling the filesystem images off the Debian CD and mounting them
as loopbacks and then running `chroot /mnt/point linuxrc` and that got me
MOST of the way there, but then, of course, I got all these warnings about
repartitioning a mounted disk and I couldn't screw myself completely, now
could I?

So there it is.

J.
--