[PLUG] Knoppix - restarting X

Scott Van Hoosen svanhoosen at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 4 22:27:02 UTC 2003

I played with Knoppix for the first time today, on
three different computers, and I was quite impressed.
I can see a lot of uses for this distro, for fixing
screwed up Linux or Windows machines, introducing
people to Linux, firing up an ssh session from
someone's house who doesn't have Linux, etc.

My only problem was on my wife's computer it
mis-identified her monitor, and tries to run it at
1280x1024, which it can't handle. It goes all fuzzy of
course, but I can get in with Ctrl-Alt-+ to lower the
res, but it uses that wacky virtual desktop size
thing. I tried fixing the settings in XF86Config
manually, and also by using one of the wizards (I
think it was Configuration Panel, Peripherals,
Display, or something like that). Problem is, I need
to restart X for the changes to take effect, but this
just restarts Knoppix again, and it forgets my
changes.

Is there a way to restart X in Knoppix without
rebooting?

-Scott