[PLUG] I still can't go to meetings, but I still need help.

Michael Hopcroft mhopcroft at seraphimguard.com
Fri Jun 6 23:28:02 UTC 2003

> I'd love to come over and help you get your system going - I charge
> $40/hour, if there is a server install it will be $65/hour with a two hour
> minimum, all time is rounded to the nearest half-hour.. - which I find
to be
> a reasonable fee... ;-)

I'm mjulling over the various offers I got.

> If you are not willing to pay, perhaps you might bring your system to
one of
> the many install fests that happen?

If oen took place ont he weekend and someone could give me a lift, that
might be an indea. Red Hat 9 is already installed , but it needs a lot
of tweaking and I am not a very skilled tweaker.

> If that is out of the question, be verbose, explicit, in depth - work with
> us, not against as.

> Now what again is the problem? :-)

To put it at its simplest, I have a spare hard drive physically inside
my computer but not attached to my system. It is full on a
non-functioning Windows XP professional and about 50GB of files that it
created when it worked. I don't care about most of the programs
(although it would be nice if I could run some of the games under an
emulator), but I have about 300 document files, 100+ PDF files, and 300+
MP#s that I'd really like to be able to run under Linux. the directories
are too big to copy onto a single CD (or even a single CD each) and I
can;t access the files at all right now. I'm not entirely sure what type
of formatting the hard drive was done on, but I'm, pretty sure the only
real solution (plugging the drive into a Windows system with a CD/RW and
backing up the My Documents directory onto multiple CDs, then loaing all
the CDs  contents into my Linux system, wiping the hard drive, and
plugging it back into my system mounted and formatted for Linux) would
be at least a full-day job.

I have other problems. My printer is a USB-based lexmark Z65. Lovely
printer -- great quality and very fast. problem is there's no Linux
driver for it that I know of.It was literally build with windows XP in
mind exclusively -- I'm not sure it would even work with a Mac. I need
to find a printing solution and some way to mount the pritner (and i'm
not entirely sure how USB works in Red Hat 9 anyway).

Then there are my CD drives. One of them is a DVD-ROM drive, and it
would be very nice to be able to play DVDs on it. I knpow my sound card
and speakers work in red Hat, I just don't knwo if Red hat recognizes
DVD drives as such, would recognize a DVD if I put it in, or if there is
software that could play it.

I'm sure there's more, but I don;t want to be too verbose or I'll never
finish the note.

Oh, one more thing -- I'm writing this with webmail because I can't get
evolution to recognize my mail server password, and i have the same
problem with Mozilla mail.