[PLUG] Problem getting motherboard on a Linux compatibility list...

Michael C. Robinson michael at robinson-west.com
Sat Jun 7 14:52:01 UTC 2003

Considering Linux started on an Intel 386 it is ironic that I am having
a hard time finding a 100% compatible Pentium 4 board but that is
exactly what I'm running into.  According to http://www.xfree86.org the
845G would be a good choice but so far the closest I have seen to that
is the 845GE which does something strange when you ask it to disable the
onboard video according to Intel's specs.  Does Intel sell a motherboard
without integrated video, lan, and sound or other Windoze only
components anymore?  Potentially they could be disabled, but Windows
98SE needs to go on the board I get where 98 has a bad habit of trying
to fix disabled devices.  Intel has no shame if it doesn't offer a good
Linux choice in a Pentium 4 board.  My VA503+ machine has been nice
because there isn't a single part that causes problems with 98SE or
Linux.  If it weren't for hard drive failure and the fact that 333 mhz
is way to slow these days I'd want to stay with it.

Under 98 all I have left is Warcraft II and TI-92 software for a usb
uplink.

Is there any business in the Portland, Scappoose, St. Helens area that
understands I will only go with a 100% Linux compatible board and that
I want to be as current as possible?  Preferably Pentium 4, although
a 1 gig PIII is a good minimum guideline.  100% compatible means that
no devices on the board need to be disabled to use it with
Linux.

As far as ASUS, etc., what's the best Intel alternative these days?

     --  Michael C. Robinson