[PLUG] Laptop Recommendations

Carla Schroder pluglist at bratgrrl.com
Sun Jun 8 20:49:02 UTC 2003

On Sunday 08 June 2003 12:56 pm, Sean Whitney wrote:
> I am considering a new career change soon which will require a lot of
> coding, presentations, documentation and traveling.  So it looks like a new
> laptop will be in order.
>
> My partner says a Apple Ti-book is out, so what I'm looking for is x86
> recommendations.
>
> Im assuming that win2k will work on just about all x86 if I have to install
> it, but what I'm really interested in is a laptop that is very linux
> comatible from one of the major vendors (Compaq/HP, Dell, Gateway).  It
> should supports at least 1400x1050 display, long battery, DVD (a writer
> would be a plus) built in ethernet/modem (built in wireless (802.11a) a
> plus), usb, serial, audio out, blah, blah, blah and something that works
> great with Linux power management, modem, video, sound.  Touch pads are
> good, finger sticks are bad....  I've spent the last year fighting with my
> Compaq Evo 600n trying to get it to work.  As long as it isn't on battery
> it works fine.
>
> For a reasonable price (under $1000 great, under $1500 ok).  Laptops change
> so fast now adays I gave up trying to keep up years ago.  Anyone have any
> recent positive experiences?  Or should I slashdot this question.....
>

> Sean

Sony Vaio GRX series, many Dells, and most Thinkpads support Linux well. The
tricky bits are built-in modems and sound. Power management is a big fat pain
in Linux, because it is still a work in progress at the kernel level, but I
hear tell some folks get ACPI going OK. See the IBM store on Ebay for good
deals on last year's models. For example, they have some A31s with wifi and
CDRW for $1499. Forget bidding, some dork always bids too high, so IMO it's a
waste of time. http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=23983696&ssPageName=CompLaptpTS

See http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/ for the complete dish on what works.

--
Carla Schroder