[PLUG] Laptop Recommendations

Kyle Accardi sandbox at pacifier.com
Sun Jun 8 21:26:02 UTC 2003

Carla Schroder wrote:
> On Sunday 08 June 2003 12:56 pm, Sean Whitney wrote:
>
>>I am considering a new career change soon which will require a lot of
>>coding, presentations, documentation and traveling.  So it looks like a new
>>laptop will be in order.
>>
>>My partner says a Apple Ti-book is out, so what I'm looking for is x86
>>recommendations.

I can tell you what doesn't work, though they're both older.  Toshiba
1715xcds is pretty miserable.  Toshiba in general has a good track record
with Linux but this was a very low-end model that wasn't made by them and
they probably wish they never put their name on it.

The other, a IBM (excellent Linux record) ThinkPad 600e.  Mostly okay, no
wheel action with an external mouse.  Hopefully, IBM has changed the chip
that breaks an external mouse.  Good keyboard feel (hate the layout though)
and overall build quality.  Power management is not perfect but lots better
than the oem'ed Toshiba.

In short, check out IBM and don't automatically dismiss Toshiba based on one
model.  Compare machines side-by-side if for nothing else to evaluate the
display quality.  If you're gonna code on the thing, it better be bright and
sharp--large doesn't hurt either.

Cheers,
Kyle Accardi