[PLUG] Partition USB storage device

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Mon Jun 9 16:20:02 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I've found this great firewall, based on Debian Woody, that runs the
root file system from a CD (http://www.gibraltar.at/). What I like is
that it will save its configuration to a floppy, USB storage device, or
a harddrive.  In particular, I really like the idea of being able to
save to a lockable USB storage device (no floppy disk sitting in the
drive - exposed to the elements).

The question I have is about USB storage devices.  Have any of you tried
to re-partition them?  I can get fdisk to recognize the drive (cfdisk
won't open it), and read its partition information, but I didn't have
the guts to delete the partition.  The winblowz tool that comes with it
can format it and make it bootable (win'98 only), but there doesn't seem
to be any partitioning tool.

TIA,

Derek Loree