[PLUG] ATTBI to Comcast switch

Sean Whitney sean at fork.com
Mon Jun 9 21:02:01 UTC 2003

> cable modems still have the 'lan effect', these kids sit and port scan all
> attbi IPs (i.e. 12.x.x.x). I get an average of 5-10 unique attempts on port
> 80 a day, all trying to various IIS exploits. I get port scanned (1-4000 or
> so) at least once or twice a day. I get specific targets hit (i.e. smtp,
> ssh, telnet) ALL day. In fact I can pretty much be assured that at any

Care to explain what the lan effect is?  Especially since every protocol you
listed is routable.  Sorry to disappoint you but there is no lan effect for
cable modems.  Every packet you generate must go back to the CMTS.  If there
is no CMTS you can't just talk with your neighbor.  DOCSIS doesn't work that
way, it's not Ethernet.
If you're not protecting your computers with a firewall that's your fault.  It
doesn't matter whether its cable, dsl, T1, OC3, or dialup.  You put a
computer on the internet, it's your job to protect it.  Every firewall in the
world gets hits, that's their jobs.

Sean