[PLUG] Partition USB storage device

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Tue Jun 10 10:40:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-09 at 18:00, Fedor G. Pikus wrote:
> If it's anything like compact flash, you can fdisk and partition it any
> way you want, as far as Linux is concerned. My USB readed with a flashcard
> in it appears also as a SCSI disk. Of course, cameras have their own idea
> about the proper format, so I let them do it, but Linux can put any
> filesystem and partition table on it.

It worked!  I should have known that linux would do the right things to
make it work.  It turns out that they start with a broken partition,
which is why cfdisk chokes.  Using fdisk, I was able to create a new
partition table, and 4 primary partitions, one FAT12, one swap, and 2
ext3's.  Now cfdisk can read it, the FAT12 is accessible to the M$ OS's,
and I can mount /var, /home and swap.

I am one happy camper! Thanks!

Derek Loree