[PLUG] Are either of these cards XFree86 compatible?

Fedor G. Pikus fedorp at wv.mentorg.com
Tue Jun 10 11:40:03 UTC 2003

On 10 Jun 2003, Michael C. Robinson wrote:
> Asus GF4 V8170DDR/SE MX440SE 64MB DDR
This is a GeForce4 MX card. It is XFree86-compatible, XFree includes
open-source non-accelerated driver, and NVidia provides their Detonator
driver which is of the same quality as the Windows driver, and supports
all features of the card.
In general, I'm not a big fan of MX series of GeForce, all revies I've
seen show that one would be better off going to the previous line of cards
instead, i.e. in this case GeForce 3 Ti cards (a "real" GeForce) can be
bought for about as much as GeForce 4 MX (GeForce "lite") and will perform
better, although you won't be able to brag that you have a GeForce 4.

> ATI Radeon 7500 64MB DDR
This one is supported in XFree 4.2 (possibly 4.1 but there were some
issues there, and some people needed to get files from CVS to hack their
XFree installation). There are open-source drivers, I was never able to
get the full scoop on whether they are from ATI or ATI helped in their
development or they have nothing to do with ATI, and how well they support
the hardware features. My guess is that not too well, but it's based on
the fact that in most discussions I've seen the main argument used against
someone who says "This and this is not supported and the card is not used
at full potential and will perform much slower than similar GeForce" is
"but the drivers are open source". May be the drivers are good and zealots
just haven't bothered to learn about it.