[PLUG] GIS/Mapping Newbie - needs help.

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Tue Jun 10 14:26:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Scott Chapman scott_list-at-mischko.com |PDX Linux| wrote:

> I would like to find/make/customize an application that will allow me
> to enter multiple addresses in a city and have it generate an image
> that I can print.
>
> I'm looking for:
> 1) Suggestions directly related to this.
> 2) Email lists devoted to GIS/Mapping issues on Linux.

The only thing that I've seen that came reasonably close was the Thomas
Guide mapping software for Windows.  It would allow you to store multiple
address points on a map and then print the map with notations for each
point.  It was extremely crude, but it did do the multiple address thing
well.

If you find something that lets you do this without Windows, please let me
know.

GRASS is a decent GIS package, but it has no concept of an "address".  You
will need to devote a reasonable amount of work to find the raw data
needed to plot street addresses along with street information.  You might
be able to get some raw data on Portland from:

http://www.cgis.ci.portland.or.us/Main.cfm

  -- Steve