[PLUG] ATTBI to Comcast switch

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Tue Jun 10 18:21:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Matt Chorman wrote:
> > I get a buttload of snoops and portscans and things, too... and mostly
> > from cable modem subscribers, but I'm on DSL.
> > I don't really think cable exposes you any more or less.
>
> I agree - but having that 12.x.x.x address..... I dunno. This would be
> an interesting metric - which type of internet service attracts the most
> hackers? Which attracts the least?
[snip]
> What type of service do most of the script kiddies out in userville
> have?

Obviously, cable is going to be the #1 perpetrator here, but for social,
not technological reasons.

DSL is pretty much for geeks and businesses (whose internet connections
are chosen by geeks).  DSL is urban (gotta be close to the CO), the IPs
are generally static, and the service agreements usually allow some kind
of services.  Geeks have more interesting projects than portscanning
strangers.  Boredom is not generally an issue with geeks (loneliness,
maybe; boredom, no).

Cable is for suburbanites.  It's for people that bought into the american
dream of highway culture or are caught up in servicing the sprawl itself
and don't know any better.  The suburbs are just about the worst
environment for a teenager.  There's lots of space between things,
generally no sidewalks, terribly road design (long slow curves, super-wide
streets -- both contribute to high-speed, reckless driving -- all for
motorist safety, no on-street parking or regularly planted trees to
protect pedestrians from traffic, again for motorist safety at the expense
of a pleasant environment).  Between the ages of about 8 and 16, you're a
prisoner in the "development" in which you live.  There are no social
spots, no public space, and no non-residential buildings.  There's nothing
to do but watch TV and dick around on the internet.  And since your entire
environment is anti-social, you really don't perceive the human harm in
your abusive, selfish behavior.

Script-kiddies are suburban, bored, and anti-social.  The suburbs are
pretty much designed to turn out these kinds of people.  It's not a
surprise that so many american kids are obese.  It IS a surprise that more
aren't certifiably psychotic (or maybe that's what all the medication is
for).

> Why type of scans does connection X get vs. connection Y?

I think all connections get the same kinds of scans.

I suppose it might make sense that kids try to scan other people in their
close proximity (IP, speaking) in an attempt to gain access to or
information about their neighbors (which is a gross misunderstanding of
the scale of the cable business model, but I digress...).  An adult would
probably know better than to scan folks on his own network because the
complaints are more likely to result in a suspension of service.  An adult
is paying the bill... a suburban kid is just fucking with Mom and Dad's
connection and they'll just go to anothe provider (in the kid's mind).

> There's a great line from "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" that I am
> going to adapt and steal: "You can turn your back on a person but you
> can never turn your back on a monopoly."

I'm not sure it's ever a good idea to turn your back on anything.

[Note that it means something entirely different to turn your back on a
person than it does to turn your back on a non-person.  If you "turn your
back on" an alligator or a corporation or the gub'mint, you're becoming
vulnerable and openning yourself to attack.  If you "turn your back on" a
person, you're ignoring their problems and failing to lend a hand where
you otherwise could have.  It's an interesting phrase.]

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net