[PLUG] Debian Network Problem

Jason Van Cleve jason at vancleve.com
Thu Jun 12 06:43:03 UTC 2003

I'm having one of my goofy catch-22 issues again, trying to install
woody.  Something about this hardware is preventing my network interface
from being detected during the installation, even after the tulip driver
is supposedly loaded.  Once the initial install is done and I reboot,
the NIC is found, but yet I cannot get dhcp to work.
/etc/network/interfaces is configured with the dhcp option, and when I
run ifup -a, it waits a moment and then exits without error.  At this
point the interface is up, but there's no IP.

Now, I can set the IP manually and ping other LAN hosts, so this must be
a dhcp issue.  I googled awhile and found some notes about enabling
"socket filtering" in the kernel, but the kernel source is not present
on this system, so I can't easily test that theory.  Nor is etherconf
available on this install CD, so I can't try "dpkg-reconfigure
etherconf" either.

What's to be done?  All I can think of is to unplug another machine from
the hub, borrow all its IP information and try using that on the woody
box to connect to the Internet, then download a new kernel and make sure
to enable this "socket filtering" option in hopes that maybe then dhcp
will work. For all that, I'd just as soon resort to my old SUSE disks!

--Jason