[PLUG] Debian Network Problem

Jason Van Cleve jason at vancleve.com
Fri Jun 13 07:58:02 UTC 2003

Always wanted to try gentoo.  Looks cool.  So I did, just now, and it,
too, fails to connect to the 'Net:  and it uses dhcpcd instead of
dhclient. Now I'm scritchin' my head again, because I've tried two
different NICs and every combination of options to dhcpcd.  Tried
sending the host name, the MAC address, everything I could find on
google.

I noticed the dhcpcd process IDs keep changing rapidly, until they
finally die out altogether.  I don't know if that's how it's supposed to
work, but then I checked the syslog (the "everything" log, in
gentooland), and I saw a whole lot of these messages (I'm guessing one
for every process):

[dhcpcd] dhcpStop: ioctl SIOCSIFADDR: Bad file descriptor
[dhcpcd] dhcpStop: ioctl SIOCSIFFLAGS: Bad file descriptor

I don't suppose anyone can explain that, because google produced nothing
useful.  Maybe my motherboard is fscked, or maybe it's a memory problem.
At one point I was getting outa memory errors.  (Sure could use a
descriptive error message once in a while. . . .)  Mr. Chorman, do you
know how I can set up a swap partition after booting from the gentoo CD?
 Maybe that would help.

It seems Win98 is the only OS this machine is capable of running.

--Jason V. C.