[PLUG] Class and.or tutoring in Red Hat 9

Ed Sawicki ed at alcpress.com
Sun Jun 15 13:13:01 UTC 2003

I'm convinced that Red Hat is the worst distribution to
use if you're trying to learn _Linux_. There are far
too many Red Hat-specific things that conflict with
learning materials, documentation, common practice, etc.

It's best to learn _Linux_ using a distribution like
Debian or Slackware (or anything else besides Red Hat).
Once you're reasonably up to speed on Linux, then
install Red Hat and learn how it is different.

Note that you can install more than one distribution on
your hard disk. You can install, say, Red Hat Linux and
Debian Linux. Boot into Red Hat Linux for doing your
desktop publishing and into Debian for learning Linux
and everything else.

As you learn more about Linux, you'll realize that your
choice of a distribution grows less important. Experience
and knowledge allows you to do things yourself rather
than relying on a vendor.

Naturally, there are people on this list who love Red Hat
Linux and will disagree with me. Their opinions are
important as well. Welcome to the freedom of choice.

Ed

On Sun, 2003-06-15 at 11:55, Michael Hopcroft wrote:
> 	I have come to the conclusion that I am going to need to either take a
> seminar or get some tutoring in Red Hat 9 to use at its greatest
> effectiveness. There is a learning curve with all operating systems, and
> I am slamming into the wall on this one. The problem I've encountered is
> that none of the technicians I've discussed my problems with in the past
> in more detail have been all that familiar with Red Hat and its
> proprietary elements themselves.
> 	Are there Red Hat users on this list at all, or is everyone using some
> other distro? Is there any way to change distros of Linux without losing
> either the file structure or the files themselves if it comes right down
> to it having to?
> 	But if I keep Red Hat 9, I have to learn how to install and upgrade
> software, preferably so it shows up in the GUI menus (the one piece of
> software I've successfully installed, an AV player, does not show up in
> any of the menus on the interface. I have to type in the filename
> whenever I want to use it.)
> 	Does anyone know of either a weekend seminar I can attend or a tutor
> who will come over and teach me the fundamentals? Alternatively, is
> there a really good manual for Red Hat 9 that assumes the user is an
> absolute beginner with Linux? (I bought a book called "Linux for Windows
> System Administrators". Problem is I'm an 'end-user".....)

Ed Sawicki <ed at alcpress.com>
ALC