[PLUG] Class and.or tutoring in Red Hat 9

Ed Sawicki ed at alcpress.com
Sun Jun 15 14:59:02 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-06-15 at 14:42, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> On 15 Jun 2003, Ed Sawicki wrote:

> Whether that's good or bad, however, isn't necessarily clear. I work
> in a mixed Solaris/Linux environment, and I really appreciate Red Hat
> for being more Unix-like than Linux-like.

Is Red Hat more Unix-like or more Solaris-like - or both?
I rarely use Solaris so I don't know.

> > As you learn more about Linux, you'll realize that your choice of a
> > distribution grows less important. Experience and knowledge allows
> > you to do things yourself rather than relying on a vendor.
>
> That's true as a user -- though as an admin, I'm somewhat chagrined at
> how Red Hat-specific many of my home-brewed scripts are.

I'm chagrined at how my scripts are so specific to my view
of the way I think things _should_ be. If I ever get a job
in a Linux shop, I'll have to change my evil ways.

>  I've thought
> about trying to integrate Debian or Slackware into our common Unix
> infrastructure at work, and I realize that it's a nontrivial task to
>
> * set up the local distro mirror
> * write/learn the tools to keep said mirror up to date
> * write/learn the tools to do hands-off installation and first-time
>   configuration
> * write scripts to get the local package manager to safely report
>   on the state of the local system vis-a-vis the central mirror
> * figure out how to model the distribution-specific stuff in our
>   cfengine rules

I'm curious. Do you use Red Hat for both servers and workstations?

--
Ed Sawicki <ed at alcpress.com>
ALC