[PLUG] Class and.or tutoring in Red Hat 9

m at pdxlug.org m at pdxlug.org
Sun Jun 15 21:50:02 UTC 2003

> On 15 Jun 2003, Ed Sawicki wrote:
>
> The best example is /etc/sysconfig - that's another
> learning curve and for what benefit? If I have to set
> a default route, I can do it with one simple command. I
> don't want to have to remember which file in which
> directory contains the GATEWAY parameter.

Errr...  OK, so you use the route command everytime your system starts up?
 Wouldn't it be convenient to store those network settings in a file?  I
personally like /etc/sysconfig because it's a central location where most
system/network variables are stored.  The rc scripts then parse their
appropriate config file in this directory for setting various parameters.
In any case, even if you didn't know where to set the GATEWAY parameter
you could quickly scan through the network rc script, just like you would
on any other *nix.
~M